Saturday, November 1, 2008

Art Every Day month – November 1, 2008 – Day 1

I am glad that the first day of this project is on a Saturday…nice to have a couple days to focus on it without the added pressures of a weekday…not that I live conventional weeks or anything…but, even still, the “weekend” holds a certain charm…

I spent most of today ‘reclaiming’ my studio…no small job as we had my elder daughter, her beau and my son all living with us for part of the summer and fall...and all their stuff…so my studio became a dumping ground. Believe it or not…it is better than when I started…but still has a long way to go!


















I doubt that during this project that I will ever start and finish one piece in one day…I always work on a number of pieces at a time (that way I can be doing something else during dry times)…I also have a whole lot of different things that I am working on right now…I have joined a postcard swap and an ACEO swap – both through WetCanvas…I have two solo shows coming up – one in February and one in April…I am taking pottery classes (hand building) and I am itching to get going on making some mosaics (haven’t ever done that before)…

In my pottery classes I have started making pieces (to add to all the mosaic pieces that are being ‘made’ for me – kiln casualties and all the stuff my dog broke) to be incorporated into the mosaics that still reside in my mind…I am on the verge of starting some planning sketches.

A couple of classes ago I made this ‘thing’…haven’t glazed it yet…thinking about how to do it…I am really happy with it…it is fun to look at…lots of texture.














Last class I also made a few tiles and a couple of chunky hearts (that I like on both sides) …here they are still wet.
















Finally, this evening, I got started on some postcards…started the background using acrylic inks splattered on watercolour paper sprayed with water…I also blasted it with canned air and sprayed it a bit more with water once the inks were on…then I sprinkled salt over it all…this is an experiment…so we shall see how it turns out…I had fun doing it though!














A good first day of the project - this is going to be fun!

3 comments:

Oma said...

Good Stuff! I love the fact that you are chronicling intent and progress and providing photos. It gives me something to think about for my own work.

Tamarak said...

I love it when I come across an artist that shows photos of the prograssion of a piece, or a video of the process, or explains it...I also like hearing about where the thoughts came from...so I will try to do that too...I guess I'm not the only person who enjoys that!

The chunky hearts were fun to make and they are going to be wonderful to hold and touch once glazed! I am going to have to make some more though because I like both sides of them and I can only show one in the mosaic!

Leah said...

so much great work!! it is fun to see works in progress and your space too!