Friday, November 7, 2008

Art Every Day month – Day 7

Yesterday, Day 6 of AEDM, I didn’t do anything to show…I took the rest of the pieces of colour off the backing sheet. I had a pottery class as well, but missed it because I had an interview – interview went well, I think, but took way longer that I thought it would!

Usually Cariño walks the dogs in the morning, but this morning he had to rush off to University for a meeting, so I walked them…I found a beautiful stone heart!

















Today I managed to spend some creative time!

I had a helper though…Pimkey (one of my elder daughters cats that we are watching) is a very needy cat…she pokes at you with her cold nose and kneads you with her sharp claws…kind of drives you nuts after a while! It is hard to get mad at her though…she looks at you in such a love-me-pet-me-need-me kind of way! The problem is that she never settles, so eventually you have to tell her to leave you alone! A couple times as she was rolling in needy ecstasy on my work table, she rolled right off!












































She is a funny creature! Hard not to love though!

I played around with the placing of the pieces of colour…deciding which way up I liked each piece and where to put them on the canvas…think I am happy with it now…next is to stick them all down with gel medium…another one of the more tedious steps…but I can get lost doing that as well…it’s like sanding pieces of wood…meditative in it’s own way…or maybe I just like mindless, repeditive things sometimes!






















The other main thing I did today was to paint the next step in my Flow painting (couldn't help the glare...it was dark by the time I was ready to take a picture)…I have to sit with it for a bit now…decide if I need to add more or make it ‘less’! Part of me is thinking that maybe I want the top part to just be some blues and a bit of the off-white…part of me likes the red as well…part of me likes the riot of colour! So I will let it sit for a while…have to wait for it to dry before I put on the ‘flow’ anyway…

I imagine what I will do is get another 30”x30” canvas and try it with just the blues…and maybe some red…

I used palette knives to paint this…started with a big one and got progressively smaller as I moved through the colours…from about a 12” one down to one that is about an inch!


















It is the weekend once more!!! There are a number of things on this weekend...tomorrow Cariño, a couple frinds and I are going to go to a pottery show and a multi-artist studio open house...will post links for them tomorrow...

3 comments:

Leah said...

so much lovely color!! i have some kitty helpers in my house as well. sometimes they're super needy like that. at the moment they're all napping though. hehe. :-)

Oma said...

I love the big painting ... with all its colour. It makes me think of northern Canadian settlements late in the year.

Tamarak said...

Thank You!

All my work has cat hair incorporated right into it...is it part of the fiber!

There are parts of the big painting that I do like...I love lots of colour (you already know that!)...I haven't gone up to look at it yet today...

I have had a few people tell me that my Flow paintings (some of them) look like abstract landscapes...