Thursday, November 20, 2008

Art Every Day Month – Day 20

No pictures today…I meant to take my camera to pottery…but forgot…

I had a wonderfully creative and productive evening at pottery…I finally remembered to take the second ‘ball bowl’ that I had made a few weeks ago (it had been sitting up on a shelf in our kitchen covered in plastic)…so tonight I finished smoothing the outside of it and set it to get bisque fired. Then I made ten, very textured star ornaments – much like the one I bought at the pottery show last weekend – it was one that my instructor had made and she brought in her stamps and cookie cutters tonight.

I enjoyed the look of the stamped clay so much that I rolled and stamped another slab and cut two large rectangle tiles from it. Driving home I wished that I had cut each of them in half to make long narrow tiles, but, oh well…I can make more later if I want. Carrie has great stamps, though, that she usually keeps out at her studio.

After that I stained the ‘thing’ I made a few weeks ago for my mosaic…will take a picture of it next week when I get it back after it’s final firing. I also glazed two other of my bowls that been bisque fired.

Still there was time left in class – so I made three little pinch pots that I shaped and in one I put a single ball and in another I put three balls…they will also be for my mosaic.

Before class (after my computer jobs) I started another postcard – this one is fanciful as well…a girl is floating up and away holding onto three colourful balloons…hopefully I will get a chance to finish it tomorrow…

All in all – a nice day…the pottery sure is therapeutic!

3 comments:

carin.c said...

Oh pottery sounds so fun. I took a few classes once. I wasn't much good at it... it was a bit of a challenge. But I really enjoyed getting my hands into the clay and sometimes wish I could take another class.

Leah said...

i loved working with clay when i tried it (even though i wasn't very good at it!) it is wonderfully therapeutic.

Tamarak said...

Did you both do wheel or hand building?
I have tried the wheel - but I have no patience for it! There are too many rules and I just found myself stressing about technique.
Hand building, on the other hand, has just a few basic rules - rules that don't govern the whole process - and I find it so free and creative...and very therapeutic!