Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Art Every Day month – Day 11

Remembrance Day – it was a beautiful day for the ceremonies here in Ottawa. As I type this, I can’t find any pictures from this year on the Internet yet – here is one from last year – a nice view of the crowds at the National War Memorial where they hold the ceremonies – just in front of Parliament Hill. I found this picture on “The Maple Leaf”.













Most places were closed for the morning, so I spent part of my morning up in the studio! The Christmas card is coming together and I am happy with how it is turning out…it isn’t going to be much of a surprise for my Mom because she keeps tabs on my blog! But things are always different in real life than in pictures! I have just made the one so far…to see if I liked it before I went making a few – immediate family only!

Here is a progress picture…the three pieces are all stuck together…


















Now I am going to put red ‘Christmas tree balls’ at the ends of the branches and a little star on top…the star will be another piece applied to the picture…am just deciding how to paint it…made it gold, but it didn’t show up…so now have painted it blue and am going to rub some gold and/or silver onto it…the red balls will be painted directly on…

Here is the little star…all but lost on one of my backing pieces that I paint on!


















I also started a new painting…I see patterns and light combinations everywhere and usually, in the back of my mind, I am wondering if I can ‘use’ what I see in my art…there are a few bridges that we drive over often (there are many around here) and when we drive over at night and Cariño is driving…I love to look at how the lights and the city reflect on the water…so this painting is an attempt to capture something of that view – actually the ‘view’ in my painting is from my imagination…based on a compilation of a few of the bridges…

Funny thing…I had painted the whole canvas (16”x8”) black and then had cut a mask out of paper to lay over top to paint the night sky…I was looking for that beautiful indigo blue…well…I painted it on and wet it looked great…came back this evening and the blue had dried down so dark that I couldn’t see it!...so I repainted with a lighter blue…again…looks good wet…we shall see when it dries…

Again…sorry about the glare on the photos…it is always dark by the time I get around to photographing my ‘stuff of the day’!...I should work one day ahead of myself…start the project October 31st and post in the mornings…maybe if Leah runs this again next year…

1 comment:

Sara Moriarty said...

Hey there. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am loving AEDM. I am fairly new to expressing my creativity, or allowing myself to express it. I am so glad that "The Artist's Way", AEDM, and all the wonderful people that I have met through creative blogs. What a perfect story about your husband and you. TAW process seems to create authentic friendships/relationships. I am thrilled to participate in the evolution of my TAW group. I already know that I'll take away life long friends from it. I can't wait to explore your blog further. BTW, do you still use any of TAW process- morning pages or artist dates? Just curious... ~Sara