Monday, October 27, 2008

My dog is in the dog house!

For reasons known only to my dog, Shea, he became all excited this afternoon when Cariño went out to the front of the house to put up the Christmas lights. Shea seemed to think that he was going to be going somewhere…maybe he thought the ladder that Cariño carried through the kitchen and out the front door was the board that gets put on the van floor when we take the dogs somewhere…I have no idea...

In the usual chaos that is our home, Thoth (one of my elder daughter’s cats that we are watching until she and beau find a new place – right now we have two large dogs and four cats! – a bit much, even if I do love animals) ran out the front door and after I brought him back in and was headed back out again to help with the Christmas lights, Shea decided to try to bolt past me in his 85 pounds of clumsy silliness, stepping on a very sore toe I have; I yelped and he decided to try to back into the house again…in the process, he somehow pulled over my china cabinet…I couldn’t grab it in time…

Many wonderful, special things smashed together in a horrible, broken pile – two antique pressed glass pieces, a gorgeous set of three nesting pottery bowls that my Mom had given Cariño last Christmas, a beautiful hand painted bowl from Turkey my sister gave me last Christmas, two funky wine glasses my Dad and his Cariño had given me, a lovely little blue glass vase my Mom gave me years and years ago, my cat pottery plate by Herman that I have had forever and loved, a few of my pottery pieces – this was just some of the carnage…













I yelled at my dog and sent him, in disgrace, out to the back yard (Teddy, the other dog, high tailed it out with Shea). My younger daughter and I stood and stared at the ruins, mouths hanging open…(actually I was venting verbally, but I won’t say what I said!)…

After a couple minutes, my daughter said…well…you now have lots of lovely pieces for your mosaics! And it is true…I have a whole box full of lovely shards…but I am still very sad – and mad at my dog…













I think that there is a very good chance that I will cry as I use these precious pieces to make some of my mosaics...

It seems that the lesson the cosmos is trying to teach me in this phase of my life (and I am being sent quite a few ‘opportunities’ in which to practice) is that I have to always find the good thing(s) in a bad situation…ok…I get it…can we move on now?

3 comments:

Oma said...

These will be wonderful additions to the mosaics. Aren't you glad you started the new project?

And maybe we are all getting lessons just now about how we can't count on anything remaining the same but we can go on. Think of the rich folks who lost millions just recently. They may be learning that life can be good without greed just as you are learning that good can come out of overturned china cabinets.

But I am so glad it wasn't my 85 pound bundle of energy that dumped your treasures!

Kerry said...

OH MY GOD!!! Tammy! I would be so upset. I'm really not a sentimental person, but my pottery means a lot to me!

I can't wait to see your mosaics and that daughter of yours is growing up VERY NICELY she couldn't have said a better thing to you!

Tamarak said...

Thank you for commiserating with me!

It is hard to stay mad at my beautiful blue-eyed puppy who comes, puts his head in my lap and looks lovingly up at me!

Kenya is much more cautious about bumbling around than my bad boy...I don't think she would ever do such a clumsy thing!

Mud Mama...I will be posting pics as I go along making the mosaics - I am so excited to get started!

And yes...my daughter is a sweetie!!!