Sunday, November 16, 2008

Art Every Day Month – Day 15

By the time we got home from having Cariño’s birthday dinner out at Barbara’s…I was way too tired to post anything about our visits to the three shows!

The Ottawa Potters Guild show was wonderful…my favorite of the day…they had a great turn out…people were lining up to pay for their treasures! In fact there were lots of people at all three shows and many seemed to be buying! I ended up buying a few things…couldn’t resist!

There were the works of over 70 potters at the show and the pottery ranged from wonderfully whimsical to beautifully functional. Over the course of the show there were various demonstrations up on the stage that was at one end of the room…we ran into my pottery teacher, Carrie – she had just finished a demonstration and hands on session with a whole lot of kids.

Here are Barbara (left) and Carrie














I came away with a cup (we use our collection of pottery cups for wine – each one different) that has a beautiful glaze – looks like an abstract landscape…and it is blue…I love blue! I also got a little fish plate that is really happy and two Christmas tree ornaments. There were so many more things that tried to speak to me…but I resisted!

Here is the new addition to our wine cup collection


















The happy fish plate


















And the ornaments














Next we went to the Ottawa Glass Bead Artists show - again – lots of wonderful eye candy – but those beads are expensive! I fell in love with a glass heart bead, about 1.5” high with beautiful iridescent blues and greens inside of it. There were a few exceptional artists there that stood out above anyone else. They made things that you just couldn't help but touch - that were absolutely yummy in their colours and design! . There were some amazing glass beads that were like mini sculptures – twisted and melded colours and shimmers in them like little landscapes - beautiful worlds all on thier own. I have never tried making glass beads or blowing glass so it is kind of like magic to me! There were a few artists making glass goddess beads that were beautiful…my favorite was a buxom purple one.

There was also one artist there that was making silver jewelry out of a special kind of clay…”Art Clay Silver”…that seemed to be truly magical! She talks about it on her web site Rideau Art & Beads. They give classes in this – might have to look into that!

The final show was the Third World Bazaar and it was very much like a bazaar – tons and tons of things all stuffed onto shelf after shelf after isle after isle…I got a little overwhelmed there! There were too many people and too much stuff! Maybe it was because I was going into eye candy overload! There were some really nice things though – my elder daughter bought a bunch of things and Barbara got a rug – I came away with a maraca to put with my Tibetan singing bowl and tingsha.

Entering the bazaar


















Some nice Kisi Stone plates














This frog bird bath could have followed me home!


















Barbara choosing her new rug














My new noise-maker
















Cariño was the only one who made it through the day without buying anything – my elder daughter bought the most! It was a fun day and lots of beautiful things were seen. After the shows, we stopped by our place, picked up the dogs and headed out to Barbara’s for a wonderful dinner.

3 comments:

L'Adelaide said...

wow, so many goodies!! I wanted the frog birdbath too and he would have been in my trunk, my wallet a tad smaller I bet! :)

sounded fascinating, especially the goddess beads!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

So many interesting things to see! Love the happy fish. :) Enjoy your new treasures.

Leah said...

sounds like a wonderful time! i love the idea of having wine glasses as all different pottery cups!