Thursday, November 6, 2008

Art Every Day month – Day 5

I didn’t get much time to myself today…the few moments I thought I might have…I got whisked away on other matters…or received news that I had to sit and digest for a while…not all days can be stellar ones…but it is these days that we can use as markers against which to measure the better ones…

I tried to work on another postcard, made a sketch for it and started, but didn’t get very far before I had to leave it…

Tonight…after dinner, after dog walk…I came up and started taking my 50 pieces of colour off their backing sheet…a somewhat tedious job…when I am painting them, I don’t think about the job I will have taking them off…I can’t…it would constrict my painting of them…I just know and accept that it will take some time and care to get them off…it is one of the steps in getting to ‘know’ them…each ‘piece of colour’ is like it’s own little painting…when I am laying on the paint, to a certain extent I pay singular attention to each piece, but I am also looking at the combination of all the pieces as well…when I am getting them off the temporary background (the globs of paint stick them down), I pay much more attention to each little square as it’s own whole…I enjoy the texture and colour dynamics of each piece then…I use an x-acto knife to trim off the overhangs of paint…

Part of the fun of this series is the playing with each piece…they are all different…each a little abstract painting on its own…when I am arranging them, it is like doing a puzzle…for me, they have an order that feels right and have a way up that feels right…they weren’t painted that way…I just play with them until ‘it feels right’…

I wanted to get them all off the backing this eve…at least start to ‘play’ with their arrangement on the canvas I have waiting for them…but it couldn’t all be done this evening…I am tired…long day…I can finish tomorrow…





1 comment:

carin.c said...

I can see why you enjoy it... a bunch of mini canvases bursting with color!