Monday, November 2, 2009

November 1st…

Yesterday was the first day of the Art Every Day Month (AEDM) that Leah at Creative Every Day is hosting…and while I did do some creative things – photographed an abandoned house and planned a painting in my head…things haven’t been going according to any plan of my design lately, so I didn’t get home in time to post last night…so be it…

I had been down to visit LT and her Beau last weekend for an extended weekend and when I left to head home on Wednesday, it wasn’t until I was almost back that I came to the realization that I had left my laptop behind…how could I do that???...not only is it my creative friend and research tool…it is also the main tool in my computer work…so, on Sat (Oct 31st) Cariño and I headed back to LT’s (a 5½ hour drive) in order to get my laptop…except the van broke down on a back road…nowhere near anything…thank goodness I had cell reception, we called CAA and settled in to wait…so we spent the dusky hours of Halloween sitting in the van, windows fogged up by our breath and our 2 big heavy-breathing dogs…eventually we got the van towed into Orillia and LT came to pick us up there…

One neat thing we did on the drive down, way before the van decided to give up the ghost, was to make a wee detour off our route to go visit a ghost town called Balaclava…just a bit north of Dacre, Ontario…I will do a post about that later...

Sunday we were told that they wouldn’t be able to order the part for our van until Monday…so we rented a car and drove home…we had been planning to leave in the morning and take our time driving home…stopping so I could photograph along the way…it was supposed to be a faily good day weather-wise…but as it turned out, we didn’t manage to get away until about 2pm…

I still got to photograph this abandoned house in the late afternoon light…just east of Norland, Ontario…I have been eyeing it each time I drive past…but it has either been raining, I was in a mad rush, or it was too dark any of the times I flew by…


























































There are so many abandoned and falling apart buildings along these back roads of Ontario…beautiful old barns, log buildings, or just little homes like this one…slowly falling apart…

I watched the sun set in the rearview mirror and the full moon work its way through the clouds…












I spent a long time looking at that full moon…a bit hazy in a grey clouded sky…and the bare branches of the trees and the solid tops of the various evergreens piercing the sky lit by the moon…it was beautiful…each species of tree with its own special silhouette…that got me to thinking about an idea for a painting…I am hoping to get a chance to sketch it out a bit later today…

And who knows...the weather might be wonderful for photographing when I have to make the trip back to Orillia to get the van later this week...there must be a reason why I am having to make this trip back and forth across Ontario so many times this year...

5 comments:

Mary K. McGraw said...

I like the 3rd one down photo of the abandoned house.

Oma said...

I sure hope there's some reason! You can't keep driving back and forth forever ... you will eventually wear out ... just like the car. love the photos and am anxious to see the art ideas.

Shaun said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the laptop and the van. Hope the van is fine soon.
Abandoned houses are so bittersweet to me. They hold so much character and mystery. Thank you for sharing your photos.

Leah said...

cool pictures! love the abandoned house shots

Arlene said...

Wonderful pictures! I love old buildings too. My favorite shot, though is the one you did out the window showing the side-view mirror and the rays of the sunset. Such a unique perspective! Being a painter, I thought, "What a wonderful, interesting painting that would make!"