Tuesday, November 10, 2009

AEDM ~ Day 10 ~ Ghost Town...











After getting lost a couple of times this summer while trying to navigate from one back road route across Ontario to another, I got totally fed up with my ripped and tattered, years out of date basic Ontario road map and treated myself to 2 new back roads map books…one is from the Backroad Mapbook Outdoor Recreation Guide series…and is the Cottage Country Ontario one…the other is from MapArt Publishing and is the Ontario Back Road Atlas

The MapArt map book shows ghost towns…and while CariƱo and I were heading back to LT’s to retrieve my forgotten laptop on October 31st…we figured what better day of the year to visit a ghost town than on Halloween?






















































































Balaclava is an interesting little ghost town because there are still 2 inhabited houses…how spooky would it be, I wonder, to live in a ghost town…it is just a short distance north of Dacre and used to be a lumber mill town…





















Ron Brown has written a number of interesting books about Ontario…I decided that I needed his one entitled Ontario’s Ghost Town Heritage…this could make for some fun outings!...I picked it up at one of my favourite stops when I pass through Orillia…Manticore books













7 comments:

Fondant Kiss said...

Super photos! you captured the eerieniess very well, I bet they would look really spooky in black and white!
Best Regards
Deborah

Meredith said...

Those are creepy. I so love photos of abandoned buildings, and these had that souls-still-present feeling in spades. Great shots.

And no, I cannot imagine living in a ghost town. I think I'm not that tough. But who knows? You might get some great material out of the experience...

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Oh, I love the ghost town story and photos! Great, great stuff! Spooky is cool! LOL.

Sharon said...

These photos are just wonderful! I especailly like the one that's fairly close up of the two windows.

Tamarak said...

Thank you all...

I will try them in black and white...could also probably play around with the contrast and shadow/highlight settings...might be neat...

I, too, love abandoned and old buildings...I grew up on a farm with lovely old out buildings...a big wooden barn and a stone piggery...they were great to photograph...

Now with my new mapbooks and ghost town book I have some photo trips to plan!

I also like that window shot...I like the reflections in the glass...

Thanks again for commenting!

Shaun said...

These are my absolute favourites yet. What better way to spend Halloween than photographing a ghost town! Imagine living there. Do you know the story behind the people still there? I must buy that book that shows the ghost towns.

Tamarak said...

I don't know the story about the 2 remaining families...the one still occupied house looked like an old farm house...maybe one of the original homes...the second one looked newer...I am always hesitant to bug people!

The book is great...you can get it right in town at Manticore Books!