Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Snowy Days and Transit Strikes

Yesterday we got 35cms of snow and at 12:01am the Ottawa Transit people went on strike…I stayed snuggled in bed this morning and ignored it all! My computer job got postponed to next week and I don’t have to be at the book store until 5pm! Cariño had an exam at 2pm, so I drove him over to the University for that…but otherwise, I have stayed inside looking out at the sunny, snow-covered day…

Luckily only the Ottawa bus people are on strike…so I can still take the Gatineau bus to work…good thing, because not much is plowed yet and so walking is a sloggy mess and if I were to drive and park over where I work in the Byward Market – most of what I earned would go to paying for the parking!

Yesterday I actually got a bit of time, sitting waiting, to sketch a bit…and a picture that I have had mulling about in my head for a week or so came out quite nicely…I am going to do a postcard of it and also a bigger version on canvas…

















I am still getting used to ‘sketching’ ideas down…I never carried a sketch book around before, but have started…I still tend to do a lot of the creating in my head for a while first…but I am trying to get myself to doodle and sketch more…

I know I’m not alone when I say, and I know that I have said it before, that I have this thing about not ‘wasting’ materials…paper, lead, paint…anything…I think it stems mostly from the fact that I don’t have money to be wasting anything…so when I first bought my little sketch book…I carried it around empty…scared to put that first mark in it…only wanting to put ‘worthy’ marks in it…I am slowly learning, though, that the more I actually do ‘make marks’…the better I seem to be getting…the more I experiment and explore and let loose and play…the more confident I am becoming in ‘making art’…the postcard and ACEO projects have been the most important pieces to this learning.

This afternoon I started on a couple things and did a bit more on some others…scattered, but fun! I started on the postcard version of “Sitting Under Mandara’s Tree of Wonder" and am having a lot of fun with it…using coloured pencils, both regular and metallic, watercolour pencils and gold ink so far…I am trying to keep it loose and flowing…hard for me, since I usually need definite lines and solid colour!

Here is a progress picture...hope to get to do some more on it later tonight or tomorrow morning...

No comments: