Friday, December 5, 2008

A Postcard a Day…

...keeps my stress at bay…

I am thoroughly enjoying the push I have put on myself to get these projects I am participating in completed…I forget when the ‘deadlines’ are – but I think they are coming up fast…not that anything bad will happen if I go over them…I think we have six months to complete our cards…you would think that was lots of time…which is why I put it off (being a procrastinator by nature)…I almost have 11 ready to go…it feels really good, too, to have a stack of packaged, ready to mail cards - cards in zip lock baggies, notes inside, all addressed in prettily stamped envelops (I have a thing about getting the fancy, beautiful stamps - must be from my stamp collecting days when I was a kid), my notes all organized so I can post the pictures to the forum once they arrive at their destinations…the same feeling I get when I have a stack of Christmas cards all ready to go (speaking of which - I should get those finished and ready to go too!)…nice little things to find their way through the mail to make someone happy…I am pretty easily pleased!

Last night was one of those nights where I climbed into bed (at about 1:30am) with my mind full of ideas that just kept coming and coming…I lay there emailing myself messages on my Blackberry so I wouldn’t forget…ideas for postcards…I still have 12 4”x6” ones to do and then something like 26 2.5”x3.5” ACEOs to do…ideas for Christmas presents…ideas for large paintings for my upcoming shows…when I got up this morning, I had sent my last message to myself at 2:45am! And then I wonder why I can’t get up in the morning! Better to lie awake thinking of creative ideas than worrying about bills though!

I am going through a select few of my pencil crayons at an alarming rate…they are getting shorter and shorter…but I just love the rich colours when I layer them on heavy…some is good – more is better! I am going to have to start a list of the colours that I am going to have to replace soon…I started with a tin box of 48 artist’s quality Prismacolor coloured pencils, and then I have been buying more as I find colours I need…some, in the box, I haven’t even sharpened yet…some are nearing stub-size! The shortest to date is my ultramarine blue. I am surprised at how differently some of the colours go on the paper – some are smooth and smooshy and some feel dry and rough…I guess it is the different amounts and types of pigments…makes sense when you think about it – guess I just never did before!

I am having fun with this Arctic theme I have been on for the last few cards…love those colours…am having fun with the style…

Spent a couple hours this aft with a girlfriend at the Gloucester Pottery School where we take lessons…I had a bunch of things to glaze…some are needed for Christmas! I glazed my star ornaments with white and then splashed on some light blue…we shall see how they turn out…I love the patterns in them…I had rolled out a slab of clay and Carrie had brought her stamps in (she has some great stamps) and I just stamped the clay to within an inch of its life! Spirals and squares and dots and lines and circles…wonderful textures…

I do believe that this girlfriend and I have decided to join the Ottawa Potters Guild…we have been toying with the idea for a while…I think it makes sense now for us…we will still have opportunities to learn new things at meetings and workshops...we can always pick up a class with Carrie...and we are both so busy that making it to set weekly classes has become a challenge lately…I think it will end up being less expensive too! We will talk to Carrie about it tomorrow when we go out to her Open House/Christmas Party - after we go out to Oma's to 'fell' tiny trees and decorate them! It is going to be a wonderful day in the Gatineau Hills...Christmas fun, good food, wine...I haven't been to Carrie's new place either - so that will be nice to see...that is where Oma goes for her pottery classes...Mud Pies Pottery.

The Gloucester Pottery School is moving soon (Spring?) out to Orleans…means a further drive…but apparently the new school facilities are going to have all kinds of wonderful and amazing new equipment…sounds like fun! I think they are also going to have a Raku set-up outside…I think Raku will suit where my pottery seems to be heading…something new to learn!

Here is today’s postcard…”Northern Lights over the Barrens I”…I saw some pretty amazing northern lights living up in the arctic...

1 comment:

Oma said...

Wonderful!

Don't forget to bring a small saw or twig cutter today.