Saturday, December 13, 2008

Full Moon in the Gatineau Hills

Last night Cariño and I, and the 2 dogs, went out to Oma’s for dinner…as we drove out, I watched the huge, full moon rising in the sky…it was so big and bright that it made the snow laden trees cast shadows over the snow covered ground…it was very beautiful!

Dinner was delicious and when Cariño and I were leaving we decided to walk the dogs out on Oma’s road, instead of coming back to the city for their last walk…the moon was high in the sky by now, but still very bright and it was so wonderful walking down the winding, deserted, moon-lit single-track road…looking up the hill, into the woods was magical…the trees casting shadows all over the rocks and snow…it was very cold (the van told us it was -19 Celsius) and we didn’t have our long johns, hats and mitts…but it was a wonderful walk! I wish I could have taken pictures…but I didn’t have a tripod and my fingers would have frozen off…so you will have to just imagine how amazingly beautiful it was!

Earlier yesterday, I picked up the rest of my stuff from the pottery school…another ‘ball bowl’…teal this time…it turned out nicely…some various tiles that might end up in mosaics, some tiny pinch bowls for mosaics…this one has 3 little balls in it…sort of looks like a nest…some I did empty (they are wonderful to touch) and some I pinched together and put a ball or 3 in…














I also got my star ornaments…I had painted on white glaze and then splattered on some light blue…I’m happy with them…the glaze really fills in the texture, but I think enough still shows…these I will tie to people’s presents…usually I buy pretty little ornaments to tie onto gifts, but this year, I decided to make my own!














I also picked up my bowl that I had stained…it is tipped on it’s side so you can see the texture on the feet…













We are going out for dinner again tonight…to Cariño’s family… Cariño is making crème caramel for dessert! I am spending a couple hours up in my studio before we leave…

My “Sitting Under Mandara’s Tree of Wonder” has produced some more ideas that I am going to work on…I want to do an ‘orchard of wonder’ and a Jesse’s tree of wonder…which will be pinks instead of the peacock blues and greens…Mandara and Jesse are my daughters’ names…the tree idea came from the meaning of Mandara’s name, which is…a mythical tree that if you sit under it, all your cares will float away…

So I have started 2 postcards with these ideas…the Jesse one, I am painting the background first in watercolours, and the orchard one I am doing like I did the Mandara one…doing the trees first and then the background…I’m not sure, yet which will be easiest and most successful…we shall see!

Here are progress pictures…not too exciting yet!

























I am also working on 2 larger-sized “Floating Away with Balloons”…one is 10”x20” deeps, stretched canvas and the other is 6”x12” not as deep stretched canvas…on the small one, I cut out the balloons, painted them and then attached them…I like the bit of collage-look it gives it…I am still deciding whether I am going to cut out the girl…I would like to, but she will be more difficult to cut out of the thick watercolour paper…but I think I need to try…it will keep an over-all feeling of collage to the piece…the bigger one I am painting everything on directly (same as I did with the postcard)…

1 comment:

Oma said...

I like your stars better than my painted ones. Next year I will do glazed ones. I particularly like the blue spatter on white. My painted ones have glitter touched on after the painting and it helps, but I still prefer your glazed ones.