Friday, December 19, 2008

Ideas...Pink and Purple Letters and Canvases…

The latter half of the week got away on me! Good, though, in a money-making way…I worked at the bookstore for the first couple days and then had computer jobs for the next two…I didn’t get any painting time though…but I did manage to get a couple of trips in to the art supply store!!!

Now today has all but slipped away on me to…where does the time go? I have, however, been happily painting away up in my studio for most of the afternoon and evening…

There are times, when my creative juices are flowing, that ideas seem to come to me at an incredible rate…each idea like a leaf…and the leaves are falling and blowing around like crazy on a windy day…I can’t keep up with jotting snippets down…little bits to trigger my memory later…many emails to myself, sent from my BlackBerry late at night…this applies for all creative ideas…art and poetry…then the execution of these ideas – the ones I manage to jot down or remember – takes infinitely longer to bring into being than the wisp of the idea that flew near to me in that creative storm!

Today I have been working on an idea that has actually been resident in my head for a long time…it was something my younger daughter had tried to do earlier in the summer, maybe even last spring…or winter (time has a way of getting away on me!) but got fed up with…I mulled over how I might do it (since I have more patience for these things than she does)…then one day I sketched out the very simple layout…then back it went into my head to germinate some more…how would I do the letters…how would I handle the mechanics of the whole piece…the colours were easy…it was for my younger daughter…so it had to be pink…with purple and gold…maybe some black…but mainly pink…and purple…on one of the trips to the art supply store this past week, I got the paints (all the pinks and purples I could get my hands on) and the little canvases that I had decided to use…stretched ones, but only a half inch thick…two 6”x8”, two 5”x10” and seven 5”x7”…laid out the way I am going to do it, I will need a backing piece 33”x40”…I haven’t got that yet…but think I will get a piece of thin board from the hardware store…so today (as the afternoon slipped away) I have drawn and cut out the 11 letters and been painting them…I found a font I mostly liked and then I printed the letters off on card stock…then I embellished them and cut them out…and I have also double base coated the 11 little canvases…I am going to do some splattering of inks on the canvases and then painting on embellishments with gold ink on the letters, once I have them stuck onto the canvases…since we are doing a mainly home-made Christmas…this will be her main present…

I have a lot of fun splattering…I put the pieces on the floor, on top of some bigger pieces of paper…although lots seems to get on the floor anyway…and then I stand above and wander around the pieces in a circle and splatter to my hearts content!...I have to make myself stop!...

Here are some progress shots…the pink letters still need another coat of paint...they don't show very pink in the picture…the canvases need to dry before I can attach the letters…I hope the cats don’t decide to prance across them before they dry completely!










































Oh…the other creative thing I did this week was to look into some ‘calls for artists’…I have two places to apply to…I also looked into some galleries…we are going to one of them tomorrow (Cariño, Yvonne and I – weather permitting) at the CUBE GalleryThe Great Big Smalls IV show…I would like to try to get into this for next year…I will tell you all about it next time…

No comments: