Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How one thing leads to another…or…a piece of the creative process…

When I was painting my little quilt block cards, I would sometimes be removing colour from the paper and I would wipe my paint brush on a piece of paper towel that I had under the card…it didn’t take long for me to notice that I liked what was happening on the paper towel…so I moved to working on a piece of watercolour paper…it wasn’t quite so absorbent…and once I had noticed what was going on in the background, I wasn’t quite so spontaneous…but still I liked what was happening…this is one of the things I learned from doing these cards…there are more things that I will be exploring…but I spent this afternoon playing with this idea…

The different coloured swipes…different intensities, thicknesses, lengths…they built on each other and became a vibrant riot of colour…when I moved to swiping my brush on the watercolour paper…the scene became one that reminded me of a clear, colourful riverbed with weeds and fish…movement darting this way and that…

So this afternoon…I took that further…some is good…sometimes more can be better…many moods can be created here…

It was fun to play anyway…a seed of an idea that will sit in my brain and may just pop out somewhere down the line…this is an aspect of creativity that I love…just like the layers of colour…it is layers of ideas and bits and pieces that may become a part of a larger whole…or may be boiled down further to some essence on it’s own…and you never really know where these things will come from...sometimes from the most unlikely, or unplanned places...

The paper towel...










Taking notice...











Playing...











1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I really loved listening to your voice on these pieces, the fun --they are really enjoyable to look at -- very inspiring!