Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Randomness…

I have a hard time with ‘random’…I have to really work at it…which, when you think of it, kind of defeats the purpose of it! I first found this out about myself back when I was a picture framer…I was framing this card and I was painting the mat…just ‘random’ little lines of different colours…I think it was my co-workers who pointed out how hard I was working at laying down ‘random’ lines…I think they even teased me (in a nice way, of course)!

I was thinking about that again today as I was ‘randomly’ putting gold dots on some of my ‘wonder bubbles’…and again as I was ‘randomly’ sticking the bubbles down to the canvas…

I have had a wonderful day devoted, mostly, to creativity…got up early and painted for a couple hours before driving my younger daughter to work, Cariño to school and then do a few odd running about jobs…was back painting within a couple hours and have happily painted the rest of the day away…

I have been working mostly on finishing up 2 pieces, as well as getting a couple others started. None got finished today…but I am getting close! Some of my paintings take so much longer to paint than others...I have some progress shots…

Still working on "Land of the Midnight Sun"...acrylic on 16x20 canvas...


























The making of the 'wonder bubbles'...made on watercolour paper, using coloured pencils and watercolour pencils...then I swirl about on them with some water to blend the colours...then I spray them with fixative, cut them out and finally draw a pattern on with a metallic gold marker...they take a while to make!














Many wonder bubbles!


















A bare 'Mandara's Tree of Wonder'...


















Placing the wonder bubbles...this took a while...trying to get them placed 'randomly'...distributing the different colours...tring to figure out how many bubbles were actually needed and of what sizes...I had to go back and make some more...in the end I have 3 left over...


















Sticking them on (using gel medium) took even longer...deciding which ones went on top, which went under...which overlapped which...it was like doing a puzzle that had no real predetermined picture...good thing I love puzzles! Still not finished...but getting there...

4 comments:

Oma said...

Mandara's Tree is magical. I love the liveliness of the bubbles.

Tamarak said...

Thank you!!!

I am quite pleased with it...looking at it this morning...it is very happy...

Now...to do the grass and person sitting under the tree...

Shaun said...

Ahhhhh, randomness. I have no idea who would tease you like that or why. Such good memories. I still think of you every time I try to create randomness. Isnèt that an oxymoronÉ

Karen Salva said...

This is beautiful! I came via Leah at CED to check out everyones art work and having fun scrolling through your work. Love all your bright colors!