Friday, January 23, 2009

Humidity Helps…

The last couple of days I have been working on putting together one of my Pieces of Colour paintings…it has been sitting waiting for the pieces to be stuck on for ages now…I just hadn’t got around to it…usually it is one of the steps that, while not my favorite, I can get into...with the repetitive, slow and meditative aspect of it…but not so on this one! The pieces of colour are smaller than in my other ones of this series and that makes them less cooperative to be put flat…they all have a bit of a curl to them…on the bigger pieces once I brushed on the gel medium, they kind of relaxed and didn’t resist being stuck flat…but these little guys are feisty! I was on the phone with Oma when we both came up with the idea of raising the humidity…well, Oma used the word humidity…I said something about putting them on wet paper towel…however you want to say it…it works!...so after fighting with almost half of them…the latter pieces have been much easier to work with…45 little squares…it has taken a while!

Some days it seems like I spend a lot of time in my studio but have little to show for it…not that I have been having trouble coming up with ideas of what to do…it isn’t that…it has to do with how some pieces take a very long time to make and others seem to jump, splat right out of the paint tubes! Part of this is also because some of my pieces take a number of steps to do, with drying times in between. This also means that there are some days when it feels like I am on fire, finishing a number of pieces all in one day! Today feels like that. It’s an exciting feeling…

I had a couple computer jobs in the morning and early afternoon and then headed up to paint around 5pm…

I finally put a ‘flow line’ on my big Flow painting…I have been sitting with it for quite a while now deciding whether or not I was going to put one on and today I decided that I would…and I like it…so that’s good!

I started a Flow triptych…three 12x12 canvases…I have been thinking about doing this for a while…today was the day to start…

I finished the Pieces of Colour (I only had ten more squares to stick on!) and started a 20x20 canvas for another of the Flow series…

I still haven’t had a chance or cooperative weather to take everything outside to photograph…hopefully tomorrow…except I think it is supposed to be like -20 plus really windy and snowy…so maybe not!

Meanwhile…here are some progress pictures…
























No comments: