Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Project 365 so far…

When I started painting a few years ago…it wasn’t long before some of my sleeping senses began to wake up and tune in…my observance of colour, shape and texture became keener…

So it is now, through doing this Project 365 that even more of my senses have begun to stir…when I was in Photographic Arts at Ryerson, I remember become very observant…it was a skill that we worked hard at fine tuning…constantly thinking about and looking for things to photograph and ways in which to photograph them in order to make some kind of statement…

In just these few short weeks I am beginning to think like a photographer again…it is a wonderful feeling…like another window in my mind opening and letting in some fresh air…fresh ideas…fresh ways of seeing…I now have a journal where I can jot down ideas for things to photograph…or a location that I want to return to…having flown past it on my way to or from a job…

It is a challenge finding the right kind of time to go out on a shoot…a number of things need to coincide…sometimes the weather is needed to cooperate…mostly it is making the time…I have been really busy work-wise since people got back into the swing of things after the New Year…which is a good thing…but, I think I have said it before…being self employed in a break/fix type of job means it is feast or famine most of the time…there is very little ‘happy medium’…

I have always been pretty good at always carrying my camera with me…so a lot of my shots are the spur-of-the-moment-glad-I-had-my-camera-with-me kinds…but this effort of having to come up with a photo that I am happy to post every day has got me thinking about photography more than I had been lately…

There are days when I almost forget…or the day passes way too quickly but so far I have managed through these times when I have been out working from morning till 9 or 10 at night by quite comprehensively photographing an old typewriter…that was fun…it is gone now, so I can’t fall back on that anymore…but I also can always photograph our animals…right now we have 4 cats and 2 dogs plus my younger daughter’s puppy comes to visit often…I am lucky in that, for the most part, they love to be photographed…especially when there is bribery involved…a love-up or treat…

Here is a collage of Pimkie posing for me...






So far this month I have taken 243 photos – 43 of the typewriter, 24 of just Pimkie and 21 of just Maddy…I have also taken 17 of a certain blowfish but am not happy about the lighting for that yet…

I have decided that the show I am having in February will be a photographic one...I have to get to work on that...it is coming up soon!

5 comments:

Oma said...

More architecture, skies and trees, please!

Tamarak said...

Hmmm...yes...I should do some more on my 'Keeping My Chin Up' series!

And I saw a tree that I want to go back and photograph...a beautiful, massive, old, swirling beast...

Leah said...

love the pics of Pimkie! Reminds me of my Sadie cat! :-)

Hybrid J said...

Don't we all just adore our pets. Love the pic of Pimkie! :)

Shaun said...

Pimkie is adorable. The character element just shines through.